19.2.12

Windy Days

There was an insane wind storm in Piteå yesterday. With so much snow on the ground, at times it looked like the world was going to end! I tried to have a productive Saturday (gym, attend afternoon concert, practice, rehearse with Charles), but by 5pm all I wanted to do was relax inside with a cup of tea and listen to the wind howl. And that's just what I did! 

The past 2 weeks have been a wind storm in a different way...so a good night of 11 hours of sleep (I forgot that was possible) was definitely necessary. I'm feeling great today! 

Last week I had a fantastic little trip "down south" to play with a group of Baltic musicians at the Russian Embassy in Berlin, that was followed by my audition for next year's group in Copenhagen. I was barely prepared for the trip...Chrissy was just leaving and I wanted to spend as much time with her as possible. We were also deep in organizing the Aussie tour, and preparing for guest artists. I desperately wanted to get out of Piteå, but was also so focused on what we were doing, I couldn't even wrap my mind around the thought of traveling and such. But, I guess sometimes the best trips are those with no expectations! 

I had to leave late on Wednesday night (Feb. 8) to get to Stockholm, stay overnight, then catch a super early flight to Berlin on Thursday. The orchestra put me up in an awesome place! There is a hostel at the Stockholm-Arlanda airport that is an actual airplane! I've always wanted to stay there, but never had the proper excuse, so I took advantage of the situation. It was actually quite cozy, clean, and comfortable!

It was a snowy walk up to the hostel. 

The reception desk
The guy working was really funny...I asked if he could bill the credit card that the room was reserved under (from the orchestra), so I didn't have to charge mine, then get reimbursed (I always loose money because of the Euro - Kroner currency exchange)...His response was very Swedish.."Well, I can...but that's a lot more work for me. I have to put the numbers in manually." I just stared at him and smiled, in a girly...yet stern way... I wanted to say "really? the 10 extra seconds that it takes you to punch in some numbers won't ruin your night! There is no one else here!" After a few awkward seconds of silence, he did his job. Oh, Swedes. 

The rooms were small, but nice! Bigger and more comfortable bed than my own! The windows ere cool, and overhead compartments could be used for storage. 

A surprisingly lovely 4:30am breakfast. 

Made it to Berlin...on our way to the Embassy! Waiting for the top secret security force to let us in...just kidding. One dude just had to unlock the door....and there wasn't even any hi-tech scanners. Disappointing! haha :) 

 Rehearsal! 

 What a crazy place! everything was huge...floor to ceiling windows and pillars; multiple ornate chandeliers; and dark, complicated patterns on all the chairs and carpet.  Definitely never thought I'd be playing in this building, very cool experience! 

 After a great night out with the group at Alexa's...bagels and coffee with two of my favorite double reed players is a must. We are still a bit out of it...

That's better! Leann and Katia! 

It was a beautiful day! And so nice to be in a city! 
 No time for sight seeing, and no need to anyway...but, here's a shot of the Brandenburg Gate. 

Kristjan arrives for the dress rehearsal! So great to play for him! 

The concert was for a room filled with supporters of the orchestra and important diplomats. It was a stress free gig, and a lot of fun. Everyone needs to see Kristjan conduct at some point to truly understand what I am talking about! Never a dull moment! 

After the concert, the Embassy provided a lovely reception full of interesting food and...free vodka. Thanks Russia! :) 





BYPers always know how to have a good time! Due to the nice reception and a great beer garden after, most of us on the 7:30am bus to the airport didn't get much, or any, sleep! Whoops! But, hey...being surrounded by great people and having no responsibilities all weekend make it ok! There are always good stores and memories after a gig with BYP! 

Next stop was Copenhagen...one of my favorite cities (as of last tour with BYP. We were there for a week recording at the Radio House and performing at Tivoli). I stayed with a friend, who was a great host! Had tons of good food and, although felt directionally challenged at times, figured out my way around the city. Even got to meet up with Anu and Leann for lunch and some yummy cheesecake!  


I was so nervous that Leann was going to miss her flight! The very clean and seemingly perfect Copenhagen metro was delayed! 

I got back to Piteå on Monday night, and went straight up to the studio to rehearse with the guys. We didn't want to loose any time preparing for the millions (ok, not millions....but a lot!) of projects we have coming up. First on the list was to finish the pieces we've each written for our Aussie tour. Anders came up on Thursday, and we spent the whole day working, playing, laughing, and trying to get better. We've been recording everything (mostly thanks to Charles!) and I plan to make a little video of clips so you can see what it's like to rehearse with Ensemble Evolution! I promise it will be much more entertaining than it sounds! 

Next week, two of my favorite mentors/percussionists will be visiting Piteå: Bill and Ruth Cahn! I've been working hard on their itinerary that will end with a collaborative performance of Bill's music to the silent film "A Page of Madness." So exciting!!! I will write more about this soon!!!   

1 comment: